Reading Recovery is a school based, short term literacy intervention programme which provides additional support for the very lowest attaining children, mainly in Year 1, but sometimes in Year 2. The programme focuses on reading as well as writing and provides individualised support to meet the different needs of each child.
Reading Recovery involves intensive one to one lessons for 30 minutes a day with a specialist Reading Recovery teacher for an average of 20 weeks. All children make progress on the programme and those children whose parents read at home daily with them will make accelerated progress to bring them up to within the average level for their year group. Children usually start the programme at pre reading level of P6/P7 and a high percentage achieve 1A by the end of the programme.
The programme also involves working closely with parent/carers, as their daily support is essential to their child's progress.
All schools in Gipsy Hill Federation have specialist Reading Recovery teachers as part of their Inclusion team.
The Reading Recovery team on the different sites are:
- Kingswood Lower Site: Imelda Callaghan, Amy Durston, Claudette Jacobs and Valerie
- Paxton Primary School: Mary Dunne
- Elm Wood Primary School: Stephanie Bernard
- Crawford Primary School: Denise Gizauskas and Paula Kenton
- Fenstanton Primary School: Shameem Sanoon and Shaun Milton
- Glenbrook Primary School: Ann Marie Pryce