Kingswood Primary School March 2017 Newsletter
Click here to download the Kingswood Primary School March 2017 Newsletter
Building of Kingswood (now Kingswood Upper Site) commenced in 1878 by G. Ward of Dulwich. At this time, the school was designed to accommodate 600 children. The school opened on 12th April 1880.
During the period of 1904 – 1905 the building was considerably extended and enlarged to accommodate 1200 children. Beautiful architectural drawings of the school at this time are framed and on show around the building. It was known as ‘Salters Hill School’ and this is still reflected in plaster work to the side of the main building. This building is of local historical importance and has been ‘listed’ by English Heritage.
Between 1933 - 1934 the school changed its intake from an all age school for 7 – 14 year olds to a junior school catering for children aged 7 – 11 years of age. At this time, however, the school was divided into separate Boys’ and Girls’ Schools. The Boys’ School was closed on 31st August 1939 due to the Second World War and reopened on 20th September 1945 with a roll of 240 children.
"Both sites benefit from excellent accommodation for learning and expansion has created much needed, high quality additional school places in the local area for families." March 2013 Ofsted report
The name of the school changed to Kingswood in 1951. The name ‘Kingswood’ originates from the fact that our local area used to be heavily wooded. The southern area was known as South Wood and the northern area as North Wood, resulting in Norwood. During the reign of King Henry VIII the woodland was owned by the king for hunting and the woods became known as “King’s Wood” giving rise to the name Kingswood Primary School.
In September 2011, due to colossal demand for school places and over-subscription as an outstanding school, Kingswood expanded to four classes in each Year Group – with pupils from Nursery through to Year 2 relocating to a newly refurbished site a short distance away on Gipsy Road known as Kingswood Lower Site. Both sites benefit from excellent accommodation for learning and expansion has created much needed, high quality additional school places in the local area for families.
2002 Craig Tunstall became Head of Kingswood